GlobeMed’s Next Executive Director
The next Executive Director will have the opportunity to significantly advance the mission of GlobeMed. The Executive Director is GlobeMed’s chief strategist and mobilizer, responsible for guiding the overall growth and development of the organization.
The Executive Director, who will report to the organization’s national Board of Directors, will work closely with the National Board as well as the National Staff (currently seven full-time) to build the next generation of global health leaders.
The Organization: GlobeMed
GlobeMed is a 501(c)(3) national non-profit based in Evanston, IL with chapters at 55 colleges and universities across the United States. We believe in the power of university students and grassroots health organizations to shape a more just and healthy world. Each GlobeMed chapter supports the work of one community health organization through fundraising, research, training and volunteering. Today, there are more than 2,000 students participating in 55 chapters, partnering with health organizations in 19 countries. Since 2007, GlobeMed has raised over one million dollars for 207 health projects and prepared over 3,000 young change-makers to be leaders for global health and social justice.
Recognized as a thought leader in student global engagement, GlobeMed became a partner with USAID’s Global Health Fellows Program-II in 2011. GlobeMed has been featured by NPR, Clinton Global Initiative University, Glamour, Crain’s Chicago Business, and the Chicago Council on Global Affairs. Learn more about what makes us unique at www.globemed.org/about.
The Opportunity: Are you the right fit?
The Executive Director is GlobeMed’s chief strategist and mobilizer, responsible for guiding the overall growth and development of the organization.
We are seeking a rising leader who is passionate about mobilizing a global community to tackle health disparities and inspire the next generation of global health leaders. We are looking for a team-builder who can manage an organization, forge partnerships, rally supporters, and serve as a role model for thousands of students across the country.
We’re not necessarily looking for years of experience. If you have demonstrated leadership potential, an instinct for innovation and a deep commitment to personal growth, consider applying.
- Leadership experience: We need to know that you can lead and manage teams to accomplish their goals, with both heart and hustle.
- Entrepreneurial drive: A strong candidate will demonstrate experience tackling challenges faced by scaling organizations. We’ll want to know about times in which you have proactively seized opportunities and identified threats that have been critical to an organization’s development.
- An inspirer: You must be capable of inspiring a diverse range of stakeholders ‐ including Board Members, supporters, students, and grassroots leaders ‐ to advance GlobeMed’s mission. You must be exceptional in communicating GlobeMed’s work verbally and in written communication.
- Ability to manage multiple ongoing projects for yourself and others, anticipate and prepare for organizational needs and opportunities.
- A passion for health, human rights, and youth development.
The ED reports to the Board of Directors and is charged with growing and managing the team of seven full-time staﬀ. While the ED will primarily be an external facing role, the position will also work with and lead the staﬀ management team to ensure that GlobeMed is eﬀectively accomplishing its goals. As the primary liaison between the Board of Directors and staﬀ, the ED is responsible for seeing that all the resources of the organization are leveraged in line with GlobeMed’s mission.
- Consistently communicate and mobilize around the 2013-2016 Strategic Plan, both internally and externally.
- Present strategic progress annually at Board meeting for review and approval by Board of Directors.
- Lead the effort to develop the organization’s next strategic plan.
- Develop and implement a long-term fundraising strategy, building on past successes.
- In collaboration with the Board of Directors, raise funds from individuals, foundations, corporations, and public sector partners.
- Cultivate existing and new funding sources and build a sustainable funding base.
- Manage, evaluate and, as necessary, recruit staff to be a high-performing, collaborative team.
- Promote a positive and focused organizational culture.
- Partner with the Board of Directors and provide the Board with the support it needs to be engaged and productive.
- In collaboration with the National Board, oversee the financial health of the organization.
- Propose an annual budget for Board approval and manage the annual budget and set financial priorities.
- Build on all aspects of communications with the goal of creating a strong and clear brand.
- Provide coaching to recent graduate and student staff members.
Salary Range & Benefits
- This is a full-time position. Salary is competitive, commensurate with experience; benefits include health and dental insurance benefits.
- Flexible paid vacation policy
- Domestic and international travel opportunities
- Interaction with an awesome community of passionate change makers
- Minimum Education Requirement: Four year degree
- Commitment: Preferred two year commitment
How to Apply
Send a cover letter, resume and references to [email protected] by May 2, 2014. Please include “Executive Director – Your Full Name” in subject line. We will be evaluating applications on an ongoing basis and will contact you if we would like to pursue your application.
620 Library Place
Evanston, IL 60201